The Utah Million Hearts Coalition recently recognized Intermountain Healthcare’s Sunset Clinic and Cedar City Clinic for Excellence in Blood Pressure Control. With only 46 clinics recognized statewide, this exclusive achievement demonstrates continual dedication to proper blood pressure control for patients.
“The award recognizes the hard work and dedication these clinics made to meet the highest standards of clinical blood pressure care,” said Kelly Robinson, Utah Million Hearts Coalition spokesperson. “More Utah providers, like the Sunset and Cedar City clinics, are taking blood pressure measurement and control to the next level by using evidence- based strategies to help patients keep blood pressure down - a strong sign that we’re making progress in preventing heart attacks and strokes and prioritizing patient care.”
Nearly 1 in 3 American adults has hypertension, also known as high blood pressure. Only half have it under control, putting them at greater risk of developing heart disease or stroke - two of the leading causes of death in the U.S.
To achieve the award, Intermountain’s Sunset Clinic and Cedar City Clinic shared control data with the Coalition and highlighted successful strategies and best practices they adopted. These clinics have helped their adult patients control their blood pressure by:
- Making blood pressure measurement accuracy a priority
- Using evidence-based guidelines and protocols for high blood pressure diagnosis
- Continually training staff on correct measurement protocols
- Using team-based care to improve patient engagement
- Implementing the use of electronic health records that include patient reminders and visit summaries
- Staying engaged with patients by offering support and educational tools
Clinics that would like additional information about applying for the award next year can contact Audrie Frehner, Health Educator at the Southwest Utah Public Health Department, at 435-986-2567 or firstname.lastname@example.org.