ST. GEORGE, UT- St. George residents are invited to join Mayor Jon Pike for a “Bike with Pike” celebration on Monday, October 24th at Confluence Park. This event will feature music, free hot dogs, a bike rodeo, and a tour of the Mayor’s Loop led by Mayor Pike. Trail system users will also be introduced to newly-installed wayfinding signs which show mileage - and walking and biking times - to local areas of interest.
“The new wayfinding signs will be a much needed addition to both the trail system and the network of bike lanes being installed throughout the city over the next several years,” says Mayor Pike.
The signage project and Bike with Pike event were made possible by the combined efforts of the Southern Utah Bicycle Alliance (SUBA), the St. George City Active Transportation Committee, and the Southwest Utah Public Health Department (SWUPHD), which provided a grant to purchase the signs. A total of 300 signs will eventually be installed throughout the trail system, with an additional 100 signs on city streets.
“Our goal is to see more residents in our area get physically active,” adds Kye Nordfelt, SWUPHD Health Promotion Director. “The city of St. George City has been promoting active transportation, and improving trail signage will make biking or walking to destinations more inviting. Studies show that these signs encourage residents to walk or pedal for work, shopping, or recreation instead of driving.”
BIKE WITH PIKE DETAILS:
- When: Monday, October 24 (5:30 - 7:30pm)
- What: Food, music, bike ride with Mayor Pike, bike rodeo
- Where: Confluence Park trailhead (parking lot just south of the Dixie Convention Center)
- What to bring: Ride your bike or just come and enjoy the event (bring lights in case the ride lasts through dusk)
- Who’s invited: Families, individuals, bikers, walkers, media